Here's the YouTube video
Here are my favorite quotes from this TED session
- "In the military they give medals to people who are willing to sacrifice themselves so that others may gain, in business we give bonuses to people who are willing to sacrifice others so that we may gain"
- "The closest analogy i can give is like being a parent...what makes a great parent? we want to give our child opportunities, education, discipline them when necessary, all so they can grow up and achieve more than we could for ourselves"
- "Great leaders want exactly the same thing, they want to provide their people, opportunity, education, discipline when necessary, build their self-confidence, give them the opportunity to try and fail, all so that they could achieve more than we could ever imagine for ourselves"
- "Great leaders would never sacrifice the people to save the numbers, they would sooner sacrifice the numbers to save the people"
- "When the people feel safe and protected by the leadership in the organization, the natural reaction is to trust and cooperate"
- "Leadership is a choice, it is not a rank"
- "I know many people who are at the bottom of organizations who have no authority and they are absolutely leaders"
- "They have chosen to look after the person to the left of them and they have chosen to look after the person to the right of them .. this is what a leader is"
- "We call them leaders because they go first, they take the risk before anybody else does, they would choose to sacrifice so that their people may be safe and protected...so that their people may gain"
- "When we [act like leaders], the natural response is that our people will sacrifice for us, they will give us their blood sweat and tears to see that their leader's vision comes to life"
- "When we ask them why would you give [all that to your leader]? they all say the same thing, because they would've done it for me"